All Saints, Southsea

We have added the first 1200 records to the collection, transcribed by Tom Jones. Photographs will be added soon.

To search the collection go here.

The Church of All Saints was located on the south side of Church Road (B5430) at its junction with Southsea Road (B5101), at the north end of the present cemetery. It was built to designs of E.B.Vaughan at the expense of the Rev. Meredith Hamer and his wife Margaret, as a chapel of ease to serve the needs of the growing population of this mining district. The church was re-built, on the same site, in 1925-8 following subsidence. The cost was met by the widow Hamer, employing Cecil Hare. The structure was a smooth and simple neo-Perpendicular building with ashlar used externally. The plan was cruciform with the choir at the crossing and a clerestory, but an aisle on the south only. When first designed, c.1922, narrow passage aisles were intended, with tall arcades and no clerestory. A proposed rood screen also never materialised. Internal features included a filigree Gothic pulpit and stained glass, reused from the old church, by Burlison & Grylls.

For Southsea War Memorial click here.


By the early 1980s this second church had also become unsafe. The Bishop of St. Asaph deconsecrated it on 15 April 1984 and it was demolished soon afterwards. The church hall (the former nineteenth-century Sunday School) nearby then became the Church of All Saints (NPRN 97239).


Source: Picture Graham Lloyd; transcribed by Tom Jones; supplied by Annette Edwards;
E.Hubbard, Buildings of Wales: Clwyd (1986), p.109-10.
http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/eglwysi/southsea.htm


For Southsea War Memorial click here.