Built in 1837, the church’s construction was largely due to Sir Richard Butler Clough of Min y Don Hall. It was built as a chapel of ease to Llandrillo yn Rhos parish church, where he was a warden, and its dedication to St Catherine of Alexandria was in honour of his wife, Catherine.
Funded by voluntary contributions it seated 250, 150 of which were for the parish’s poor. With the creation of the parish of Colwyn in 1844 it became the parish church.
The church has been restored twice, in 1871 and 1891, and the internal fittings probably largely date from then. The Vicarage, built in 1871 opposite the church, became the Llys Madoc flats for the elderly in the 1980s. During the Second World War the ringing of the church bell was forbidden as it would have signalled enemy invasion. The war memorial was erected in 1923.
For further details of this church go here https://colwynbayheritage.org.uk/st-catherines-church-abergele-road/
Please note: There is currently no index available to these images.
Photographs supplied by Lee Wetton Clwyd Monumental Inscriptions.
We have recently added the first batch of 539 records and some headstone images, with more to follow. This is still a work in progress but have received many requests for information. Please note that [more]
Photographs supplied by Lee Wetton Clwyd Monumental Inscriptions. Back to Clwyd Monumental Inscriptions Index Please note: There is currently no index available. Photographs supplied by Lee Wetton Clwyd Monumental Inscriptions. Back to Clwyd Monumental Inscriptions [more]