St. Chad’s Church, Holt
To search the records click here*.
The earliest documentary reference to the church is in 1379 but it is thought that it was established around the 1280s. Additions were made to the church and it was remodelled in the late 15th century under the patronage of Sir William Stanley. During the Civil War it was damaged when it was occupied by Parliamentary forces; bullet marks are still present from that occupation. In 1732 the church was renovated; this included removal of the rood loft and screens.
A further restoration was carried out between 1871 and 1873 on behalf of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Ewan Christian carried out the work on the chancel and John Douglas was responsible for the rest of the church. This included removal of the whitewash from the interior and adding vaulting under the tower. New oak screens were fitted between the chancel and the chapels, and the seating was replaced in the choir and the nave. Many memorials were removed and the window tracery was renewed.
Source: Photographs by Graham Lloyd.