The Church of St. John Evangelist is a Norman style Church built from coursed and squared stone with slate roofs. A parish was formed in 1844, and the church was built 1852-3, to the designs of Thomas Penson the younger. It has a cruciform plan with a nave, transepts and chancel, and a bell-tower. It has a nave of four bays, each with a broad single-light round-arched window and triple windows in the north and south walls of the transepts. A corbel table continues across the entire building, incorporating human and animal heads.
It is listed as a good example of a Romanesque revival church, in which the stylistic vocabulary is carried through both architecture and interior fittings.
To search records click here*.