The present church was built 1836-7 probably by Edward Welch, and replacing an earlier church. The design, characterised by a large nave and a shallow chancel, is typical of church design in the 1830s when [more]
The church originated in 1841 following the formation of the Parish of Rossett out of Gresford Parish, but was replaced in 1892 by today’s building. Opinion is divided whether Rossett derives from “Yr Orsedd” meaning [more]
We have recently added the first batch of 539 records and some headstone images, with more to follow. This is still a work in progress but have received many requests for information. Please note that [more]
To search records, here*. St. Mary’s church replaced an earlier church that stood a little distance away called St. Johns. The first church, which was consecrated on 31 July 1838 (St. Johns), unfortunately, collapsed because [more]
The earliest known documentary evidence for a Hanmer connection with St Chad is in the charter of Leofric, Earl of Chester AD 1043, (Thorpe’s Diplomatarium Anglicanum p.352) in which he bestows upon his newly founded [more]
To search records click here*.